I have edited my pinterest mood board for spring to reflect my sewing plans, and revised palette🙂
Check it out here
It was tough because I have a ton more that I want to make but I wanted to keep it simple, and be practical so that I can ensure that I finish everything. I decided to keep it to four pieces for now, incorporating the items I’m making for Sew Colette.
- Item 1: Taffy blouse from Colette Sewing Handbook in dark blue print chiffon
- Item 2: Licorice dress from Colette Sewing Handbook in blue silk crepe ( I loved the book version so much I wanted to do one fairly similar)
- Item 3: Jamie Christina Mission Maxi dress in cream jersey
- Item 4: UFO black linen dress pants from last year hehe
I thought what I’ll do is, once the Spring one is complete I’ll make another for summer, and that’s when I’ll be adding my bolds and brights like my tangerines and red-oranges…. ahhhhh my favourite colours!!!😀
I have some great plans for summer, like my first pair of shorts, a tangerine silk halter top and the Bombshell dress in a sweet black floral cotton…. whooopeeeee!!!!!😀
Stay tuned and don’t miss a thing! LOL
My very favourite season of all is Autumn but there’s nothing quite like the newness of Spring to kick up a girl’s heels and rejuvenate the spirit – the smell in the air here in the Lower Mainland is intoxicating; Japanese cherry blossoms, all manner of flowers, shrubs and flowering trees – enough to delight the senses from dawn til dusk and beyond🙂 We are SOOO blessed!!
It’s also the time where for many of us we start dreaming of lighter clothing and outdoor activities – the weather is so mild here on the coast, we don’t get THAT cold of a winter, but it sure is nice when one can put away the jacket and wear a hoodie instead, and when you start noticing you need a pedicure for those open toed shoes you’re dying to have a chance to wear again🙂
All that being said, I’ve been on the prowl for a 50’s style sundress; the kind with wide straps, a straight across bodice and angled pockets, and LO!! Sarai from Colette patterns must have heeded my spirit’s call because what does she reveal in all its glory…..
the absolutely perfect sundress: retro 50's chic meets modern bombshell - STUNNING!!
Colette Patterns has also released two other lovelies: another sundress – Hazel – with clever V-front seaming, perfect for stripes or border fabrics (I’m thinking of this in bordered eyelet at a later date) and Iris, the most perfect shorts I’ve seen in a long time: not too long, not too short, and with clean lines and shape, making them both elegant and summery – not at all frumpy like a lot of shorts look on me (i’ve ordered them, we’ll see if they look as elegant on my not-quite-as-willowy figure LOL)
I should be wrapping up my Truffle dress this week, and will be making some headway on the Taffy blouse this weekend so I’m almost caught up on my Sew Colette projects… this means by the time my new patterns reach me I might actually be able to sew them!! YIPPEEE FOR SPRING!!!!😀
I am so darn freaking excited to announce that I have joined (I think) my very first sewalong!!
Hosted by Miss Crayola Creepy and Rhinestones and Telephones, this sewalong is for anyone who wishes to join in sewing the projects from the Colette Sewing Handbook which as I have noted, I received just recently and have already read at least half a dozen times, and had already planned to make everything in there at least once!
I am proudly displaying my button on the right hand side of my blog – my very first of its kind, I started a Flickr account for my project photos, and I’m so excited to participate in this sewalong, and to make lots of new friends in the sewing community🙂
Cheers, and happy sewing!🙂
Well the Meringue came to life yesterday (almost). All was going swimmingly until I got to the hem. It wasn’t til I turned the facing and began attempting to press the scallops that I realized the fabric was a little too drapey to hold them. Still I pressed on (ha, pun) and got about halfway through the catchstitching before I admitted this was not going to work.
Ok so now I have a rough game plan to save this otherwise lovely skirt:
– first, unpick the catchstitching (sad but at least I’m getting really good at it!)
– second, try to trim down seam allowance in the points more to get more definition
– third, sew a second line of stitching along the scalloped edge to reinforce the shape
– fourth, if all else fails, remove the facing, cut and sew a straight hem
If I have to resort to that, I’ll make a second Meringue in stiffer fabric so I can have that pretty hemline on one at least🙂
On another note, at the wise advice of Joanne from Stitch & Witter, I created a list of my meager stash and a table to organize it, despite the fact I had to guess at a few yardages, and didn’t know the widths on most lol. She was right though – better to start now before it gets out of control!! lol
I’ll be trying to save the Meringue tonight so updates are soon to follow🙂