Tag Archives: truffle dress

Sew Colette: Truffle Dress Complete

Finally completed the March challenge of Sew Colette: The Truffle Dress!!


I learned a lot on this challenge as well: how to install a facing & attach it to a zipper mostly. I also experimented with using spray starch to stabilize my fabric; a VERY fray-prone, slippery dress weight rayon. I lined the bodice with cotton batiste and I really like the feel of it.


Overall I like the way the dress turned out… except that it’s a bit too tight lol. I can get it on but there’s NO WAY I’m wearing it to go out for dinner lol – I’d be afraid of a major wardrobe malfunction! lol. No worries though; I’m on a health & fitness plan and have been losing weight so I’ll bet I can wear it comfortably, soon 🙂

Gratuitous closeups, including kitty trying to hide under it lol:



Now onto April’s challenge: The Taffy Blouse!! 🙂

Yippee!!! Spring!!!

My very favourite season of all is Autumn but there’s nothing quite like the newness of Spring to kick up a girl’s heels and rejuvenate the spirit – the smell in the air here in the Lower Mainland is intoxicating; Japanese cherry blossoms, all manner of flowers, shrubs and flowering trees – enough to delight the senses from dawn til dusk and beyond 🙂 We are SOOO blessed!!

It’s also the time where for many of us we start dreaming of lighter clothing and outdoor activities – the weather is so mild here on the coast, we don’t get THAT cold of a winter, but it sure is nice when one can put away the jacket and wear a hoodie instead, and when you start noticing you need a pedicure for those open toed shoes you’re dying to have a chance to wear again 🙂

All that being said, I’ve been on the prowl for a 50’s style sundress; the kind with wide straps, a straight across bodice and angled pockets, and LO!! Sarai from Colette patterns must have heeded my spirit’s call because what does she reveal in all its glory…..


the absolutely perfect sundress: retro 50's chic meets modern bombshell - STUNNING!!


Colette Patterns has also released two other lovelies: another sundress – Hazel – with clever V-front seaming, perfect for stripes or border fabrics (I’m thinking of this in bordered eyelet at a later date) and Iris, the most perfect shorts I’ve seen in a long time: not too long, not too short, and with clean lines and shape, making them both elegant and summery – not at all frumpy like a lot of shorts look on me (i’ve ordered them, we’ll see if they look as elegant on my not-quite-as-willowy figure LOL)

I should be wrapping up my Truffle dress this week, and will be making some headway on the Taffy blouse this weekend so I’m almost caught up on my Sew Colette projects… this means by the time my new patterns reach me I might actually be able to sew them!! YIPPEEE FOR SPRING!!!! 😀

Comeback Weekend!

After a really long hiatus of general malaise and being very unproductive, I’m finally back to myself!

I’m SOOOOO behind on the Truffle dress for the Sew Colette, as I’d only cut out the bodice for my muslin. It’s due today so that means I have to do two projects in April to catch up lol. So today I did the fitting. I anticipated a 3/4″ fba (1.5″ total) so I worked that in right away, and was bang on – yay!

I also had the same back neckline gaping issue as with the Pastille (a full 2″!!) so I had my dear man pin off the excess then at the suggestion of my mum, trimmed off 1″ at the top center back tapering to 0 at the waist on each side, then redrawing the grainline parallel. Worked great!

On a side note, I just gotta figure a way to fix the Pastille now, preferably without removing & re-installing the zipper. I was thinking of enlarging & lengthening the back neckline darts, which just means I’d have to remove/reinstall the back neck facing (no biggie) Any thoughts? 🙂

For the Truffle remaining pattern pieces, I also made waist adjustments at skirt and drape pieces to match the front bodice, moving darts & notches to match as well (yay me lol). Tomorrow I’ll cut and begin sewing 🙂

I also made the executive decision to wad my blue chiffon blouse after laughing about the ridiculous fit with my mum. It was unsalvageable I came to admit, so on to greener pastures!!

On a brighter note, the Meringue is definitely salvageable so I painstakingly ripped the bottom facing off, redrew a gently curved hemline, & cut off the scallops, making it a much more flattering length for me. Just gotta hem it now! 🙂

I also finished another project I’ll post pics for this week! 🙂